Articles about wildlife that have been injured and are recovering at Refuge for Wildlife.
Ronny has been with us since early 2017 after he was severely electrocuted by uninsulated power lines. Unfortunately most of Ronny’s burns were on his face. And the injury was gruesome. It was the first time we have ever seen an electrocution injury like this. Although the burns looked very bad, Ronny behaved normally. He ate very […]Continue Reading... Comments Off on Ronny’s Electrocution Rehabilitation – Warning Graphic Images
Bernie was badly electrocuted in Playa Guiones in December 2016. He not only suffered from painful electrical burns, Bernie also caught on fire during the accident. Every year Refuge for Wildlife rescues hundreds of monkeys and other wildlife that have been electrocuted due to uninsulated power lines and transformers. Electrocution is the #1 killer of howler […]Continue Reading... Comments Off on Bernie’s Rehabilitation and Release
Han was rescue in late May 2017 when he was hit by a car and broke his femur and hip. It was clear to us that his leg was broken, but there was no way of knowing what the correct treatment would be because we needed to get an x-ray first. Without it, we would not have enough details […]Continue Reading... Comments Off on Han’s Rehabilitation and Release
Costa Rica: One woman’s fight to save the country’s monkeys The growth of tourism in Costa Rica has been an economic plus but has taken an unforeseen toll on wildlife. Increased need for power means more electrical transformers, which have had a devastating effect on the country’s howler monkey population. Most of Costa Rica’s power […]Continue Reading... No Comments.