Placeholder

Refuge for Wildlife – Stop the Shocks – Insulate a Transformer

Refuge for Wildlife Stop the ShocksEvery year Refuge for Wildlife rescues hundreds of monkeys and other wildlife that have been electrocuted due to uninsulated power lines and transformers. Electrocution is the #1 killer of howler monkeys in Costa Rica. Our emergency response team, of staff and volunteers, have the experience and expertise to rescue monkeys from transformers and electrical wires with specialist equipment. Our founder, Brenda Bombard has 17 years experience rehabilitating howler monkeys and other wildlife that have suffered extreme burns, amputations and other injuries from electrocution.Refuge for Wildlife Stop the Shocks

This is a country-wide problem, but rural areas like Nosara, are where most wildlife deaths from electrocution occur. Unfortunately monkeys do not know the difference between electrical wires and natural vines and will often travel across wires to get to feeding grounds. This is especially an issue in areas of deforestation where monkeys are faced with no other choice than to risk traveling on electrical wires. Thanks to the co-operative efforts of our Stop the Shocks Program and ICE, our electrical service provider, most of the electrical wires in the Playas de Nosara area were replaced with insulated cables many years ago. It is because of this hard work, that today our monkeys can travel without injury along many kilometres of electrical wires. There are, though, still many areas where uninsulated electrical wires are a problem and all it takes is a monkey to touch two live wires to be electrocuted. The main issue with monkeys using the wires is that attached to all wires are Stop the Shocks-1-8high voltage electrical transformers. The monkeys travel along the wires in search for food and end up needing to cross a transformer to reach the wire on the other side. These transformers are very dangerous, with many parts of the transformer able to deliver a deadly jolt of electricity to anything that touches it. Sadly, our monkeys cannot sense the danger until it’s too late. The shock is extremely painful and causes horrific electrical burns and often muscular spasms so the monkey cannot let go and sometimes even catch on fire. What is worse, is that when a member of the troop is crying out in pain, the rest of the troop will try to help which often causes several family members to become electrocuted or die.

The Stop the Shocks Program

The Stop the Shocks Program is dedicated to insulating dangerous transformers and power lines and also providing the necessary care for survivors of electrocution. This program, run by a small group of volunteers, raises funds to purchase wildlife protection equipment and medical care for the victims of electrocution.

Insulating Transformers

Electrocutions can be stopped. Only made possible through generous donations, our Stop the Shocks committee purchases special wildlife protection equipment that saves lives. This program has no paid staff and our local electrical company, ICE, donate their time and install this equipment for free. This  means, that every cent that is donated toward insulating transformers, goes towards insulating transformers and stopping the shocks.

Our dedicated and hard-working ICE team volunteers their time.

Each transformers is different, with different components and different lengths of cable that need to be insulated. Because of this, each transformer needs to be individually inspected by our volunteers and a quote obtained by our distributor, CFS Sistemas who provides wildlife protection equipment from MidSun in the USA. The average cost to insulate a household transformer ranges from $250-$550 USD with the average high voltage commercial transformer costing $950-$1500USD to insulate.

One dangerous uninsulated transformer can kill entire monkey troops in only a few minutes. The Stop the Shocks committee has been focusing on insulating “high-traffic” areas in an effort to prevent electrocutions. In 2016, an area with 4 high-voltage transformers that had killed and injured dozens of howler monkeys was insulated with wildlife protection equipment. This particular location was a huge problem because, due to deforestation and a main road, the monkeys had no choice but to climb across the wires and transformers to get to food resources. And now, because of the efforts of our Stop the Shocks program,  this location has been accident free for more than a year!

Learn more about insulating transformers

$
Personal Info

Donation Total: $100