Menu Close

Electrocuted Howler Infants Become Best Friends

These two tiny infant howlers were both badly electrocuted when their mother’s climbed onto uninsulated power transformers. Liza’s mother’s body caught on fire, causing severe thermal burns as well as electrical burns. Mario was a newborn when his tail was severely damaged with burns, inflammation, and torn muscles and quickly became necrotic and needed to be amputated. 

Both Liza and Mario needed pain management medication, anti-inflammatories, anti-inflammatories, antibiotics, oxygen therapy and soothing burn cream. And they both spent several weeks inside our incubator.

The prognosis for electrocuted monkeys is poor. Although external wounds can be treated, internal damage can be very serious and might not show for many months.

Electrocution injuries have a deleterious biochemical affect on the bodies of mammals, which can lead to irreversible organ damage. Of the monkeys brought to the clinic, approximately two-thirds succumb to their terrible injuries. Due to his their young age and the severity of their injuries, we were certain that Mario and Liza would not survive more than a few days. Thanks to the medical attention and exceptional care they’ve received from our veterinary staff, both infants have healed from their burns and are growing strong. We will need to keep a close eye on them and watch for organ damage that might still manifest, but we are very thankful that they are doing very well.