Bernie was badly electrocuted in Playa Guiones in December 2016. He not only suffered from painful electrical burns, Bernie also caught on fire during the accident. Every year Refuge for Wildlife rescues hundreds of monkeys and other wildlife that have been electrocuted due to uninsulated power lines and transformers. Electrocution is the #1 killer of howler […]Continue Reading... Comments Off on Bernie’s Rehabilitation and Release
Midnight was rescued from Los Arenales in March after he fell from electrical cables and hit his head. At our onsite clinic, Dr. Francisco Sánchez and Dr. Christine Nelson discovered that electrocution was the cause of Midnight’s fall. So in addition to treatment for blindness and muscle tremors caused by head trauma, Midnight was treated for electrical burns […]Continue Reading... Comments Off on Midnight’s Story
MONKEY ELECTROCUTIONS – WHAT SHOULD YOU DO? Many people have asked us what they should do if they find a monkey being electrocuted on an uninsulated electrical wire or transformer. It’s important to know the best way you can help our wildlife in need. Always follow these important steps: 1. CALL 8824 3323 – We […]Continue Reading... Comments Off on What To Do In A Wildlife Emergency
Today was graduation day at Refuge For Wildlife for several of our orphaned howlers! We transferred eleven monkeys to SIBU Sanctuary where they will start a step-down release program! At SIBU Sanctuary, our orphaned monkeys will spend up to 2 years, depending on the age and abilities of the monkey, learning how to live in […]Continue Reading... Comments Off on 11 Monkeys “Graduate” from Refuge for Wildlife
This Howler Monkey was rescue in La Esperanza in July 2013. She was hanging in the electrical wires in the center of a busy road. The monkey was rescued from the cables and taken to the Safari Vets office where Dr. Susana the veterinarian had to amputate 2 inches from the tip of the tail. […]Continue Reading... No Comments.